ORAL CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
#Watch Your Mouth!
April is designated as Oral Cancer Awareness month. Oral Cancer is not a rare disease. Approximately 54,000 new cases of oral cancer are diagnosed each year in the United States. The earlier the cancer is detected, the easier the treatment and the greater the chance of a cure. Annual oral screenings for all adults are recommended.
At Wilson & Fiquett Dentistry, we conduct an oral cancer screening with every checkup. The screening is simple, quick, and painless. Risk factors for oral cancer include smoking, chewing tobacco, vaping, HPV, and alcoholism. According to The Oral Cancer Foundation, possible signs and symptoms of oral cancer are as follows:
- Red and/or white discolorations of the soft tissues of the mouth.
- Any sore which does not heal within 14 days.
- Hoarseness that lasts for a prolonged period of time.
- A sensation that something is stuck in your throat.
- Numbness in the oral region.
- Difficulty in moving jaw or tongue.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Ear pain that occurs on one side only.
- A sore under a denture, which even after adjustment of the denture, still does not heal.
- A lump or thickening that develops in the mouth or on the neck.
Please call our office today to schedule a screening! We look forward to seeing you!